Cavities are perhaps the most commonly encountered oral conditions. They are caused due to the microbial activity in the mouth, which erodes the enamel and decays the underlying tissues. The molars and premolars are at a higher risk of developing cavities as they have occlusal grooves on their surface. It is easier for microbes to get deposited in the grooves, and over time, they release harmful acids and cause cavities.
What is the solution?
The best way to avoid cavities near the occlusal grooves is by completely covering them. This can be done using dental sealants. Sealants are acrylic or composite resinous surface applicants that entirely cover the grooves and prevent microbes from entering them. They are an inexpensive and simple way to prevent the onset of cavities, making them a highly sought-after preventive measure, especially in the case of children.
What are the advantages of sealants?
- Since they are made from a biocompatible material, they are readily accepted by the tissues of the body.
- They are inexpensive and straightforward.
- They offer excellent sealing properties.
- They do not alter your natural bite, which prevents any discomfort while biting or chewing food.
- They can be customized to match the enamel's color, which keeps them from being easily distinguished.
Schedule an appointment online or call us at (770) 458-3600 to consult your dentist at Brightworks Dentistry in Dunwoody, GA. Ask more about sealants to our Dunwoody dentist, we will happy to answer and help.