Dental implants are the go-to solution to replace missing natural teeth. They are a combination of a crown made from dental-grade ceramic and a metal stud made from titanium. The dentist will insert the implant into the jawbone at the exact position of the missing tooth. It restores both oral aesthetics and functionality.
What are the drawbacks of missing teeth?
- Oral functionality will be affected when a tooth goes missing. You will not be able to bite and chew food as always, and the phonetics will be altered as well.
- The remaining teeth may drift from their positions as a gap will be left in the jawbone when a tooth is completely extracted.
- When a tooth is removed, it can lead to jawbone deterioration.
- Most importantly, patients tend to feel too conscious of their appearance due to the missing tooth. This can cause a loss of confidence.
What is the procedure involved?
Candidacy plays a significant role in getting a dental implant. Factors such as jawbone size, oral diseases, overall health, presence of cavities, high blood pressure, diabetes, etc. will be checked before confirming the candidacy. We will also take a few x-rays and scans of the mouth to serve as a reference for fabricating the crown. Meanwhile, the dentist will prepare you for the implant surgery.
The dentist will make a small hole in the jawbone and insert the implant in it. Dental cement is used for the purpose, after which a suitable healing period is suggested. During this, the jawbone will grow around the grooves of the implant, and the gums partially cover the stud. During the next appointment, the dentist will place the crown on the implant using an abutment and secure it firmly with dental adhesives. The dentist will then conduct a bite test and polish the implant to enhance its appearance.
Why are implants highly preferred over other alternatives?
- Implants offer excellent strength and stability as they are inserted into the jawbone.
- The implant crown is highly durable as it is made from dental-grade ceramic.
- They are long-lasting restorations.
- Since the implant is inserted into the jawbone, it keeps the adjoining teeth from drifting from their ideal positions.
- The grooves on the implant stud keep the jawbone from deteriorating.
Please schedule an appointment online or call us at (770) 458-3600 to have a consultation with our dentists, and we will be happy to help.